Thursday, October 8, 2009

Virtual Home Tour: Part 1, The Heart of the House

(Recipe book drop down to the right of the stove, a personal favorite counter top saver)


I have friends and family who have not been invited (we have only invited one dinner guest so far...we are just trying to get on our feet) or have not been able to visit our new home we bought in April this year. It is a blessing and we love it! I want to share it in this first installment which is the heart of the house..my kitchen, work desk and breakfast/homeschooling/crafting project/everything happens here, table. This is the door to the laundry and half bath, backdoor area. My fab new cork board with printed daily schedule and my grocery list. I also have a pen with a Velcro dot affixed to the frame for updates to schedule or additions to the grocery list.

This is the view immediately left towards the dining room which is now a catch-all room and changing table room/laundry soring room (see the basket on the wall?) I love my tile floors too..a pleasure to mop actually.

This is the heart of the heart, the food prep area. Granite counter tops (I was cleaning this day so this is not a photo ready day but reality) Anyway, you can see the layout. It was updated from original 1976, in 2004 to the new layout but they kept the original ovens which I love. I don't know why the previous owner mixed the black AND white appliances with wood...seems a little busy but that is how it looks. They all work well so I am happy!
The crafting/homeschooling/project/everything happens here built in oak table with storage bench seating. I keep projects for children and also picnic blankets in here for now. The table top is faux wood Formica that I did not love at first but now I do since it cleans up easily with little messy people and it is durable. We always have the option to change out the table, however, if you look closely, behind the high chair and freestanding chair, the table is supported by a storage cabinet which is where I house mine and the children's shoes in baskets. From this angle, to the immediate left is the laundry room door and back door so it makes for quick escapes and a place for shoes.

My kitchen window. Directly outside is the neighbor's house but to the left and over their fence is a horse pen and country lot so I hear the horses sometimes..no traffic sounds. That is nice in a subdivision. You also see my pot of basil that has not died and a Nuudles sculpture of Noah's Ark and the rainbow following the flood, a G5 creation. ;-) OH, that is also my Dr. Mercola water filter with crushed coconut shells. Our filtered water tastes like nothing even though the chlorine/chlorasomine percentage is plenty high, about 80%...yuck. So, I am pleased with it. Aunt Beate sent the hanging nested heart when we got married.

3 comments:

  1. sweet! thank you for sharing. now i can picture you better : )

    i have to say, it's kinda weird thinking about you in all that space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the kitchen! Thanks for the glimpse! I long for my own kitchen again....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi-
    Yes, I have gobs of space..I am a queen in my castle now.

    Cheryl-
    God will give you enormous appreciation for the mundane when you do get your own kitchen back again. You are growing in grace and humility..right now, every day. I have experience in this you know. Hang in there, God is watching. ;-)

    ReplyDelete