Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Traditional foods::baby

If there is one thing that's confusing for me, its how and when and what to feed a baby.  I have done it all.  Extended breastfeeding and no gluten and zero solids until after 15 months.  Vegetarian only starting at six months including all whole grains.  "Whatever we have" starting at six months, including all grains.  Here we are again and I think it will be different.  He will eat like us.  Aiming for traditional foods.  He has had some juicing foam of carrots and apples.  A lick here and there of peaches, bananas, avocado, a pear but, this morning, I gave him a soft cooked egg yolk with sea salt, deliberately, off a spoon. 
Nourishing Traditions (from my amazon bookstore/home page) says it is an excellent first food for baby's brain.  If you cannot get a farm fresh, bug eating, pastured chicken egg, an omega-3 to omega-6 balanced egg from the grocery store is beneficial(that's what this egg was today for him).  Long chain fatty acids, that's what you get.  "Many researchers, most notably the eminent Dr. David Horrobin, have warned that adequate EPA and DHA in the diet of infants is needed to prevent learning disabilities and defects in visual function."  Cholesterol is needed for the "optimal development of the nervous system"  Start at four months, a daily egg yolk.  "It is the yolk that contains the beneficial fatty acids.  The proteins in the white of the egg may be difficult to digest until baby is older."  ~Nourishing Traditions pg. 605 "Feeding Babies"  The book also talks about gruel made from soaked flour/grains and meat formula made with bone broth.  I wonder the length of breastfeeding as that is not mentioned in the studies quoted.  I also think that extended breastfeeding makes a difference in offering a  new baby optimum health.  Get ready for more egg yolks Donovan!  Love you my sweetie boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment