Friday, April 8, 2011

Being consistent


My sister calls it a Mexican standoff. From the first time, to now, that is what we call it around here. Here it goes....

All morning chores are complete..phew!..that is good....beds made by the children, children dressed themselves mostly, jammies hung up on wall hooks, teeth brushed, hair combed, smiles on...all chores carefully, yet as gently as possible, monitored and corrected on most days....and we are ready to go. Except for the crumpled, damp hand towel on the bathroom counter and the bathroom lights are on...Mom has asked two times to the seven year old, to please hang towel and shut off light. The two littles run amuck and watch and listen and as the young man leaves the bathroom to join in the frolic without doing either, I quickly say, "whooaaaa-ho there boy! What did you forget? There are two things in that bathroom that are undone and we cannot leave until they are done. How about this? You stay in that bathroom until you recall what I said or you see what the two things are?" Fortunately, we were only going downstairs and not rushing out to an appointment so...I had time, to teach. I have to take these times to make up for the times when it is all too easy for me to just do it myself. So, he stayed and I cozied up on my bed with the two littles to finish a woolen hand knit for the boy in the bathroom. A nice, unexpected moment or two to knit. This is good. I love these teaching moments. The boy asks me, 'do I need to make my bed?' I say, "is your bed in the bathroom?" He is stumped some more. Truly wondering what in the world he is doing in there. I knit contentedly and the littles play with toys and watch and want yarn to play with...it is all good.


As I completed the hand knit, which I intend to post soon, I hear the boy say...'the towel?'...I give him a "yes" look...he is glad and hangs it up...now what else. 'The light Mom?'..yes sir. Ahhhh....hope that one will stick.


These teaching moments in life skills can last a lifetime and transfer to academics..I believe they really can! Be consistent and take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment