
My darling friend Cheryl and her darling boys were here for a few days. When they visit, there are two things that for sure will happen.
This time the sewing/crafting was not planned as sometimes is the case. Unplanned craft can be the most fun after all. It began with this little trinket. For my 40th birthday tomorrow, Cheryl made me this bracelet. It is dark wash and soft denim for the band and some green and white fabric scraps from fabric she knows I love for three little scrappy roses on top. The bracelet is affixed with Velcro to match the denim and the roses stay in place with hot glue and let me say, I feel so cute and, smart wearing it. I was so inspired that I quickly set out to knock one off myself that very day. Here is the result.


I love the added wool felt leaves. We even think this one can be a temporary pillow for a mama when sitting. Just place hand elegantly on table in front of you and drop your forehead down onto the rose pillow....ahhhh, a little micro nap for a tired mama. All it needs is a drop of lavender essential oil or perfectly, rose essential oil. Voila! Instant relaxation. This rather large scrappy rose bracelet excitement, of course, led to other experiments. Necklaces perhaps?

Cheryl was a scrappy rose factory! There are seven pictured above.
To make the roses, you begin with a knot at the end of any length of 2" to 4" fabric scrap. You can even join scraps by sewing similar width pieces of various coordinating fabrics as was done in this particular rose. The widths can be off by an inch or two.

Then you wrap three times around the knot, holding it firmly like this:

Then you twist, wrap, twist wrap kinda like this and add a dab of hot glue every third wrap or so until the end when you think it is the right size, just trim and glue down the back piece firmly on the bottom.


So this one I glued onto a large hair pin with a piece of wool felt over the piece of pin that is closest to the rose to secure it and just how lovely...once a scrap and now a hairpin rose. Isn't it lovely paired with a low casual hair bun? I think it is romantic and from a distance, looks like a live some kind of flower...do you know what I mean? Maybe not even a rose.

As if this were not enough, I could not get past wanting to do this lovely Sassy Hair Peony from
Sewing Bits & Pieces by Sandi Henderson.

I need to get an alligator clip or come up with something so I can use it somehow. It can be glued to a pin as a brooch too. My edges did not come out very straight curved or smooth curved since I did not follow her direction to clip the curves before turning the petals to spray starch them (I get inpatient for results fast!) and I did not sew the edges tight enough I think when joining each row of petals so my total peony is about 7 inches in diameter and hers is about 6" but, I would still wear it. It is definitely sassy according to Cheryl. ;-) Maybe even affix it to a soft jersey gray colored hairband? I am not sure yet. I love the fact that I bought the orange floral fabric at a garage sale down the street and so far have made a one piece, linen lined sundress for my daughter with this fabric, as well as some of Anna Marie Horner's Quick Change Trousers with it. I love that it is an old button from one of my grandmothers stashes of buttons.
Won't you share what are you sewing up these days?
No comments:
Post a Comment