Monday, January 17, 2011

A new apron



my photographer, Gunnar..you can really see how the darts make the bodice fitted and feminine, just how I love it!

a warm oven is a good spot to dry a wet sock says Win

I have not blogged in some time due to the new phone.
I just cannot blog without photos for some reason. It is not that I quit taking photos but I have been taking them with my phone simply because my phone is already in my hand...how convenient! If you could only see the gobs of photos I have on there that I cannot yet figure out how to get off! I guess I will need to stop and get a tutorial to figure it out. I have put down the digital camera almost entirely since Dec. 22, when we turned in our broken, literally, call dropping flip phones for these smart phones in a buy one get one sales deal. What a joy! We text, take photos, read email, post on Facebook...it is too much fun. I should say, I post on Facebook, not my husband...that is a waste of time to him...I agree mostly. But mostly, my hubby and I love texting...it is such a great tool for us and we do wonder why we waited so long to do it. (and yes, those are my wrinkly hands...I had a friend in college that said I was reverse ageing...I still like to think of it that way)

I made an apron for myself. It is Simplicity 3670. I love the look and practicality of this apron. I love that Julie Andrews in the musical The Sound of Music, would probably make one like this for herself. I have to be practical...I always want an apron that has a bodice because I am five feet tall, often, while cooking, I will get food, oil, etc. right on my tee shirt and then it is ruined. Many patterns are waist tie aprons and that just won't do the job.
The pattern says "It's so easy it's Simplicity"....okie, dokie...you just never know until you try so I would say, it is easy but it is a little tedious. The work was worth it though. You have to be careful in buying patterns. Many times, the cheaper, unless it is a $15.95 Butterick pattern on sale for $1, then the more difficult to read it will be for you. I like this one however because if you notice, is has darts to shape right around the bust line so it gives the illusion that I still have an hourglass after three children and almost 40 years. Seriously...I feel pretty in this everyday apron as I do laundry, wash dishes, change diapers, etc., which is precisely when I want to feel powerful and beautiful. I want to feel smart during the sometimes emotionally draining work of motherhood. I don't know about you but wearing an apron daily, while at home, is becoming a new passion. I am going to be looking for other patterns too so I can build on my apron collection.
Now, the tedious part. I have made darts before but not too often from a pattern. So it was doable but just difficult to match up the dart marks and then mark with pins to sew. The good part is that the finished product, as with most sewn things, looks great even though the coming together seemed a little messy. With each sewing project, I grow more experienced and next time, probably won't rely on the marks and pins so much for darts. I have found, if you are consistent on how wide the darts are and how wide apart they are, that will yield even darts fine...fine if that makes sense.
This is also the first photo of my new hair"do". On Dec. 31st, New Year's Eve, I decided it was time for a change. I had approximately six inches taken off and have found it simply liberating. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. That is King Arthur Gluten Free Bread mix in the oven and it is a big hit over here. If you have a delicious, moist, sandwich bread that is gluten free, from scratch is fine..please share! ~Traci

    ReplyDelete