Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Copy work

I often think that my children learn in spite of my teaching.

Sometimes this promotes feelings of "why do I do this home school thing anyway?" in both a positive way, i.e., they learn to read, write, make their bed, math, etc., etc. as I guide them, and a negative way, they learn to read, write, make their bed, math, etc., etc. no matter how much effort I put forth to deliberately teach something I think they need to learn, not necessarily what they want to learn.

Fundamentally, I believe the best learning is done when you want to learn or need to learn to do something you want to do or have a passion to explore. I am just a facilitator and a tool provider guide, not really a "teacher". I am reading How Children Learn from John Holt and have gotten validation for these thoughts from some of his writings.

So here I share with you, Gunnar's latest unschooled, unprompted and treasured by his mother, copy work. He was thrilled when I read it back to him....I read something he wrote..what a joy! This was taken from a much loved passage in a collection of his father's Calvin and Hobbes books. Love it. Now, believe me, I know he will learn to actually put it on lined paper (do they still use that in schools??) or type on the keyboard but baby steps I tell you, savor the baby steps.

What happens in your home in spite of your teaching?

4 comments:

  1. love it! jay loves to write little notes to me. all day i hear "mom, how do you spell (whatever)...?" it always amazes me how they learn what they want, when they want. yes, amazing....these little independent people! jay still enjoys "school time" whatever that means! i try not to get in the way but encourage and let him go and learn and explore and i'll answer questions along the way. that's what i'm here...as far as i can tell right now anyway!
    love you!
    Oh, i should pull out some of john's old calvin and hobbs...they boys would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sweet! I love when Dylin does her own copywork. One day she copied an entire library book (pictures and all)- because she was sad that we had to turn it back in and she wanted to keep it.

    There is so much learning, all day, isn't there?!? Right now they are in their room doing 'science experiments'. They are wearing lab coats, mixing off brand kool-aid and soap. I keep hearing things like "whoa- now it's turquoise!" and "look out, it's going to explode!". Love it!

    oh- and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mandi and Cheryl for your comments. It is really weird how I feel I need to deliberately teach but then I stop to see what they are learning in spite of me...very strange how the Lord seems to slide me along this path of home education. I qualify "good teaching" in moments rather than days. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh Calvin and Hobbes...some fine learning to be had there, at least for boys and patient Mom's. Surely a good sign of how well you are raising your kids. My sister told me years ago to keep in mind that we aren't raising kids, rather we are raising adults. Seems that you are doing a fine job. Good onya Traci!

    ReplyDelete