Thursday, October 28, 2010

An update in Martin's words


Is 40:8
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.

Is 40:29
He gives strength to the weary and to him who lacks might He increases power.

Is 40:31
Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength, they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not be tired, they will walk and not become weary.

Deut 33:27a
The eternal God is a dwelling place and underneath are the everlasting arms

Is 41:10
Do not fear for I am with you, do not look anxiously about you for I am your God, I will strengthen surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Matt 8: 23-27
And when He had gone into the ship, His disciples followed Him

And behold! A great tempest occurred in the sea so that the ship was covered by the waves! But He was asleep.

And His disciples came to Him and awoke Him saying Lord save us! We are perishing!

And He said to them Why are you afraid, O you of little faith? Then rising up, He rebuked the winds and the sea and there was a great calm.


Hi everyone,

It has been quite an unusual month for us with the many different challenges. The scripture passages that I quoted provides the comfort and source for the strength we need.

The passage in Matt 8:23-26 is a great reminder to believers to rely on the Lord. I quoted the Greek interlinear translation for this passage. You will notice that they got on a ship, not a rowboat which is the image that so many paintings have.

The storm is described as a tempest which means it was more then a little thunder bumper. It was an incredible storm which terrified the disciples, many of whom were seasoned sailors. In their panic, they screamed and woke the Lord up because they thought they were going to die. Now that is rich. The safest place anywhere at that point would be with the Lord and He was asleep, so clearly He was not concerned. Yet they missed that. They went from being calm to fear and panic resulting in them losing all reasoning.

This passage is a reminder to all that the Lord is with us wherever we are and will take care of us regardless of the circumstances we are in. It is a reminder to apply what we know and stand still to await the deliverance of the Lord.

This passage also illustrates an interesting point. This test was designed to prepare the disciples for the time of testing that was coming, the time when the 5th cycle of discipline would be administered and Israel conquered and destroyed.

We take comfort in this with our upcoming challenges. We know that the Lord has all the details taken care of and that there is nothing that we can do to improve the plan. We have to stand still and wait upon Him as He directs the steps.

Traci and I (and the kids) have to rely on the Lord during this tempest and wait upon His deliverance and guidance. We cannot try and "assist" God in this. This requires applying the confidence in the Lord regarding His timing and solutions and to wait.

We had our meeting this past week with two of the three surgeons who have been involved in our case. The prognosis from the CT scan and xray is that the radiation treatment from two years ago did effect areas of my jawbone. The necrosis is slowly causing the bone tissue to die.

I do need to clarify one item from my previous email. Even though there is great confidence that there is not a recurrence of cancer, we cannot rule it out until surgery when the tissue is analyzed by the pathologist.

My situation is somewhat unique. Only 3-5 % of all the cancer patients in the USA have head and neck tumors. From that category, I belong to a small group of less then 5% that has had my type of cancer, the location of the tumors and the post surgery complications from radiation and scar tissue.

In my meeting with the dental surgeon, we shared a chuckle about my most recent mishap. As you recall, about two weeks ago I heard a load cracking noise while trying to open my mouth and remove my mouth piece.

About 8 days later, I miscalculated the distance between myself and a piece of furniture and managed to hit the edge of the cabinet with my broken jaw....when I say hit, I managed to hit the point where the jaw is fractured right on the cabinet... The end result was that I looked like a cartoon. We shared a laugh about me "helping" the process of bone removal.

Even though I was very aggressive in some alternative options such as Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy, massage, acupuncture and diet, we were not able to stop the necrosis and reverse the problem.

The only option left it is surgery. I still have one more surgeon that we will be meeting with. His specialty is the reconstruction of the areas that will have bone removed. At this time, my surgery is scheduled for the end of November. This gives us time to gather all the facts and take care of loose ends.

This process will include the replacement of the bone with some other material and the use of donor tissue from another part of my body. They do have a program where costs can be lowered if I bring along my own "donor" materials. I have been saving scrap metal and plastic pipes for some time now and have an ample supply of things to choose from. (ok I am kidding).

The use of new donor tissue from another part of my body has been a source of merriment for me. I was thinking that if the tissue were to come from my posterior or rear end, this would really give me some conversation possibilities.

The phrase "You can kiss my you know what" comes to mind and could be either literal or figurative. With part of my "you know what" in my mouth, I would be more then qualified to serve in Congress or get that teleprompter guy's job .....in either case I would be "full of you know what" and have the ability to talk through both sides of my "you know what."

As always, we appreciate the prayer support and encouragement. We shall continue in our battle and appreciate each day as an extension of grace.

Semper Fi

Martin, Traci, Gunnar, Winston and Tessa

1 comment:

  1. "appreciate each day as an extension of grace"

    that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete