Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Expectant encouragement

I am reading and watching 'Laying Down the Rails' by Sonya Shafer for Simply Charlotte Mason. Sonya is an interpreter for the modern day parent of CM's vision of education.

Instead of nagging, use expectant encouragement. As we know, our children know our facial expressions better than we do. In my home school, we have plenty of dark days when I feel down about the nagging I feel I have to do. Sonya emphasized that the attitude of the mother (or father) is critical. I think that over time, if the child senses that I expect them to succeed, to make right, to remember to do what they should do...then, they will. This is better said than done. In a day filled with occupying a trying to walk 1 yo, a busy 3 yo and then to facilitate things for a 6 yo, always, you just want your commands obeyed now. But how do we get that? Great pains my dear. I am not talking about corrections in behavior, I am talking, just daily living skills to get on to the things we need and want to do...or that mom needs and wants to do with the children.

So instead of nagging, today I will endeavor to use the attitude of expectant encouragement. For example, 'G6, its time to get dressed.' My attitude, tone of voice and facial expressions are critical...they should all say 'you can do this and do it now'. The punishment or correction is when I leave the room and move on to my room to dress myself after sufficient time helping his younger brother do the same thing. A natural consequence that is negative but will enforce the idea of only once is to move on to my morning chore of dressing, making my bed, etc.

This sounds so simple, so superfluous. But it is not. It is a critical lesson and exercise in many things. Obedience, attention, duty and, daily living practical skill. I will endeavor to use my facial expressions rather than my voice and in time, he will understand and natural consequences will have to fall as they may. This is a challenge I have taken before but my hope springs eternal. I have confidence!

1 comment: