I want to take G5 on his first movie date with me. I thought 'Where The Wild Things Are' would be fantastic as his first movie..he has never been in a movie theatre and I have not for about 10 years or so. We love the book. Sounds innocent enough..right? Wrong.
On Yahoo, I read a lukewarm review that described Max as a 'rambunctious' and 'sensitive' .....(uh oh, sounds like sensitivity training...let's reason things out and really squeeze out our feelings type thing...which I am in agreement with but also think that children need firm boundaries..I digress but am worried about my pick at this point)...and he escapes his home to where the wild things are. In the book as I recall, he simply did not want his dinner and went to where the wild things are to escape. I guess that would be boring for a feature length movie. So, I trudge on...I found a Christian website with movie reviews which basically sealed the nail on the coffin. We are not going. See review here. It is not the 'd' and 'h' words that it mentions that I find horribly objectionable. There is even a 'My God' exclamation. G5 knows that gentlemen don't use those words and in fact, on the occasion that mommy, in anger lets one fly, he corrects me! Glad there is no nudity or sex...I hope not! But, it is the detail that his mom has a boyfriend and Max feels that he is not being paid attention to...do I want to introduce G5 to this? To mommy's with boyfriends? Uh, no. I prefer to endorse marriage even if the reality is one in two people divorce by today's statistics. Apparently, Max bites his mother on the shoulder and she screams at him that he is out of control. Oh dear. Bites? I am not confident that G5 would hang in there mentally for the whole film to see the conflict resolution. That is the bottom line. Oh, and the violence is concerning...a monster rips another one's arm off? Hum....I think I might have nightmares.
Before hearing about the film..I even entertained plans to make a Max Halloween costume for G5...we did a skeleton ( to be posted later ) instead which was fantastic anyway.
So....this is really a disappointment for me..G5 will never be the wiser. I wanted to go but will wait till my kids are older for sure. Maybe a date night idea for the grownups? Any thoughts about the movie? I would love to hear of any friend who has indeed attended this flick and their opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment