So I have realized that 'content' areas of learning are going to take a back seat to obedience training, gentle obedience training, for now and as part of purposeful teaching going forward..until they are adults! 'Obedience is the whole duty of man; obedience to conscience, to law, to Divine direction.' -Charlotte Mason, Home Education, 1935. All of learning and all of life seems to revolve around getting oneself under control and under God's control ultimately. This is no east task once '...
oh dear, was just interrupted by W2 with the announcement, 'mommy, I have poop on my hands'...cleaned up that one and washed thoroughly...germs, germs lesson again and again and again.... ;-)
Back to the matter at hand. Once 'they get the thin end of the wedge in, let them discover that they can do otherwise than obey, and a woeful struggle begins, which commonly ends in the children doing that which is right in their own eyes.' -Charlotte Mason, Home Education, 1935. I have witnessed this in others and in my own children time and again due to parental physical and/or mental fatigue.
The idea is to do right in God's eyes, not in mine necessarily. I understand this but in the day, in practice, it is tough to 'be consistent' as any experienced parent, passerby in the grocery store will admonish you. Also, if you are too overreaching in demanding/expecting perfect obedience then you will have rebellion for sure. 'the poor children are simply bullied into submission to the will, that is, the willfulness, of another;not at all, 'for it is right'; only because it is convenient.' -CM, Home Education, 1935.
Now, I want and need God to guide me in this journey. I have learned that the art of mothering resides in timing. Perfect timing to the child's learning potential...in the moment. This means I am to drop anything else, I mean anything else, I was moving forward with doing. Including a lesson on content areas of education...including breakfast at times.
So, today we are doing a lesson on self control instead of content..that will be later in the day for G5 when W2 and T1 are napping. A masking tape line on the floor and the self control to walk it without falling off. I will then add a glass bell to balance while walking once the initial task is mastered. (ideas from Mommy, Teach Me!)
CM also states the obvious but when a mama is worn down, this one is tough to remember...I should read it daily. 'The mother often loses her hold over her children because they detect in the tone of her voice (they know me sooooooo well) that she does not expect them to obey her behests; she does not think enough of her position; has not sufficient confidence in her own authority.' A quiet confidence.
I can do this quite indirectly with some help like the above mentioned book and other ideas. Feel free to share them if you are reading this! 'the thing that matters most is that the child should be daily confirming a habit of obedience by the unbroken repetition of acts of obedience. -CM, Home Education, 1935.
yes!
ReplyDeleteoh man-that quote about the tone of the mother's voice is pretty convicting!
there is no better time than these early years to begin setting up these habits.
have you read 'tomato staking'. google it. it's about child training, by the way!
Tomatoe staking?...is it this one?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com/problems-littleones.asp
Just found it yesterday. If that link did not work, this is it:
www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com
Got this link via the Ambleside Online yahoo group.