
So these are my new drawers! I love them. They are all cropped but meant to be seasonless and layered as needed. I would not normally be caught dead in ivory pants but the fabric suggestion on the Petticoat pants (right) was just irresistible and it was 40% off at JoAnns, I had to buy it. It is a pinwale corduroy and feels like velvet. The Pull On pants, as the pattern terms them, in curry color fabric with circles (in the middle) is a cheapy poly/cotton blend from Walmart and the curry color linen (left) is from JoAnns again. It was also on sale, all linens for 40% off. That means normally the 100% linen is about 17$ per yard, so take 40% off that and thats what I got. Nice. Yes, yellow pants. I am in love with this easy going color! I love the feel and the fresh from the dryer, rumple look of the fabric with linen and the light weight for hot Texas summer. I really am amazed at how inexpensive these were to make and how well they fit and make me feel fabulous! Much better than off the rack pants for me.
 |
This is the frightening looking multi sized pattern. That white overlay is called "Easy Pattern" which is pattern making fabric again from JoAnns, that feels like interfacing. There are no color changes for each size or design on this pattern. If you have ever used an Ottobre pattern or seen one, you understand. However, Ottobre patterns still scare me. I am not that confident yet but this pattern work may get me there. Those green tubes? Those are my new pattern weights and I love them. You need them. 11$ of help without pin holes is good.
|
I did add four inches to the top measurement when cutting out fabric and zero to the other edges as it suggested to add to it. These are HUGE. You may not want that much billowy fabric going on and even so, these are generous. I did put together with my serger and that makes for less seam allowance needs anyway. Back to the extra at the top, these will fit "low rise" if you don't add fabric when you cut at the top/waistline. I don't like low rise, I like midrise to cover my mama belly and my generous bottom. I don't find it admirable at all when a woman's tushie is visible above the waistline of her drawers. No ma'am, ew, not for me. Its tough to find nice fitting, mid rise pants that are cool and not "dated" looking, anymore and I cannot shop as much as I am home with small children and dragging them around town while I try on pants would not be fun for anyone...so, here is my solution for now.
Anyway, the petticoat pants were made first and I was concerned they were too short in the rise so made a "yoga" ribbed cotton waistband. Now that I have made the other two with elastic waistbands, I do like those waist finishes a bit better.
 |
| creating the ruffle for the Petticoat pants |
Again, all patterns from Simple Modern Sewing through Amazon on the Mueller Five Bookstore if you are up to the challenge! Here's some more pics, without the model. Maybe someone around here, in the near future will snap a shot of me in them as I plan to wear them a lot.
 |
| ooppss, sidways, blurry, pocket detail |
Yes! I want to see these on! I love petticoat pants and I'm sure they are super cute on you! I'm really liking that yellow too. These remind me of the linen soft pants I made for Levi a few summers ago. Do you remember those? His pink pants?!?! Anyway, only because of the linen, not the style or anything! But the linen was great for summer. So nice and airy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mandi..yes, like Levi's, I remember the pink pants! I have an addendum...the add of four inches to the waist, or top edge measurement, may be too generous. Wore the linen ones yesterday and found them a bit too long in the rise. I do not know where my waistline really is right now...uh, five months post partum, so may have over compensated. I am thinking that it may be time for me to start making muslins before I sew a finished garment for myself..especially as I begin to spend more cash per yard on fabric.
ReplyDelete