I am saying "can you see the straps?" (I know you can see my bump!)
I am begging, "please Martin, take a little time to get a good photo." Love these ruffles!
There are the soft, stretchy cotton straps and I think the best photo.
The full bump, 20 weeks along and shows the length of the gown. ( I think I am pushing out a bit here, or am I that big already?)
I have made several, quite a few really, maternity dresses, shorts and pants and, other things I don't recall but have saved in a box for fun but, never anything to sleep in until now. I even made a vintage 1960-something maternity dress that I don't wear anymore since I think it makes me look huge...but, it is very cool. Maybe I should remake it in a more drapey fabric...hummmmm. Wish I had photos of it. However, this is just an alteration into a nightgown.
So many of my maternity things were given away after Tessa since I just thought it was time and so many things are gone that used to fit or, the old things, at this point are just, old. I wanted something new, comfortable and affordable to sleep in and did not want to get those Motherhood gowns that are ready for nursing yet. I also don't like seeing myself in a big, frumpy husband tee shirt...not too much. Besides, I enjoy the break between babies to wear things that I cannot necessarily easily nurse a baby in and, wear comfortably and, feel beautiful. I nurse my babies for about two years so this is a precious little window. I found this bathing suit cover up at Target a few weeks ago and bought it on sale with the thought that I would add shoulder straps..it was strapless. The front bust has two layers and with those sweet ruffles, I feel decent if someone were to ring the doorbell in the morning while I am still in my nightgown.
All I did was cut the bottom off, left it raw, then sewed two tubes, turned them out, sewed the front on where I thought they should be, safety pinned the back in place where I thought they should be, tried it on, adjusted the back placement, then zigzagged them in place with two or three rows of zigzag. Voila! I love my new nightgown! I think I also surged the edges of the ends of the tubes to make it neat. I would not wear it out as it is kind of thin and it is the color white. But at home, it feels so comfortable and the children even noticed it. They wanted to touch it and bury themselves in the soft all cotton jersey fabric. So there it is. Maternity sewing made simple. This can be worn non-maternity and non-breastfeeding too...that is my plan anyway, if it stays stain free. Go get those cotton maxi dress swimsuit cover ups now and get to sewing!
By the way, it is quite embarrassing to have to ask one's husband to take photos of me, in a nightgown. He is not a photo taker, at, all. Ever. All photos, 99%, are by moi. So, if I look frustrated or otherwise not smiling or acting like my normal self, it was because my dearest was just clicking away, non-discriminantly...got a couple good ones to show I was, in fact, here. Good thing I know he loves me, right?




oh traci!!! you look gorgeous! so happy this pregnancy is going well and you look so glowy and healthy..hehe my sister is 14 weeks along, a surprise but she's happy. :) are you going to find out girl or boy? missing you and sending lots of love!!!
ReplyDeletexoxoxoxox