Wednesday, March 9, 2011

small beginnings


I am often thinking lately of how great things begin small. There are so many things if you stop and take stock, you realize that they began quite happen stance, humbly or even on accident but in your life, you can not imagine a happy life without it. For example, from the very big things like choosing your spouse, planning your child(ren), your home or the little things like, your favorite pair of denim jeans you bought on sale or were handed down that just feel like "me" when you put them on.
I have long thought and admired only truly recently and even ventured into... log cabin style quilt making. I have consulted the owner of Alewives Fabrics with back and forth chatter over email about how I can make all my squares and then pay to have it quilted with batting of my choice. I might pay a little more for that service but I would do all the design of the quilt itself. Somehow, having the help takes some of the intimidation out of it. So, as I am swimming in little scraps of fabric from Hobby Lobby, Alewives Fabrics and various other places like garage sales and antique shows, I find myself beginning my first quilt. I think it will end up on my grandmother's couch that lives here now with cats scratching it to death and children constantly unloading its cushions daily and spilling water on it. It could use a bit of a homemade, affordable, face lift....so, here I go!

I share with you today, the first of some 25 squares this baby will need to be a true "throw". I don't know that this will be a "great thing" or not, but the chance that it will become a loved and cherished handmade item in my family is a very intiguing thought and adds value to my effort.

Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What small beginnings are in your plans friends?

4 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I have quilting on the brain too- for this little one coming to us. I love the log cabin style- and your design is so creative!
    Can't wait to watch it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your fabric choices!! can't wait to see the finished product...:) i have been wanting to do a full quilt but still am not quite there yet. i have done log cabin style pillow covers and had fun with them....starting small...hmmm...i just need to start squares and think of them as pillow covers. once i get the right amount, i can have a quilt top! thanks for the inspiration...xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to come see me - we have lots of quilters and quilting groups around town. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I also love your Goethe quote. It has long been a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete