Friday, February 11, 2011

Icy Adventures::Leaf sculptures?

With the unusual freezing temperatures here in Texas, it dawned on me that we can nature study something in this weather! I had intended to make ice mobiles with leaves or winter berries in them but what fun to find these.
I don't know if you can see it well enough but, that is a leaf impression gently peeled off that is almost paper thin made of ice. The children were peeling them off with their new mittens which is no easy task. The best part? I ate one and then they all proceeded to have a wintery snack and peel ice and eat. They were quietly eating until the frost crept in just too much and we returned to the house and the warm fire inside. If you look closely, if my photo was taken well enough, you can see the impression of the tiny veins on these leaves. These are from the Hawthorne and Gardenia bushes in our front yard. Some leaves will work better than others I suppose.
So chilly and so fun. And I have to say, watching a two year old peeling ice sculptures off with her mittens and then trying to hold them to eat them...oh dear, just too sweet to watch her concentration and determination. Too sweet indeed.

For more great nature study ideas, please check out (pic from amazon.com):

1 comment:

  1. love it! one nice thing about the cold has been looking at the icicles on the bushes. those leaves look really neat!

    ReplyDelete