Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Martin Mueller update November 30 Surgery Day

Hi all,

We have a change in the surgery planned for tomorrow. The reconstruction surgeon is concerned about my infection. He wants to delay the reconstruction until the infection is under control and/or gone. He is concerned that my ongoing battle with infection will effect the new donor tissue.

Right now the game plan appears to be that tomorrow they will focus on the necrotic areas and clean everything. They also will focus on getting me healthy.

The clean out process will remove the dead tissues, dead bone/jawbone and that area will be bandaged or left open. It will be part of my daily routine to clean and change the dressings. This will be for a couple of weeks until the decision is made to proceed with the reconstruction.

We are also waiting on a bed to open in the hospital so that they can admit already today. This is so they can get me on an IV and antibiotics. I am dehydrated right now due to a bout with either a stomach virus also.

***************
Update to today, November 30 by Traci:

Things are moving along this morning. Martin is now in surgery. I do not know how but somehow, word has gotten around that his surgery was cancelled. It is indeed not. Anyway, the Lord knows that he is in surgery, right? Yesterday, by 3pm, Martin had an I.V. drip with two heavy antibiotics as well as a candida treatment and some lovely peace inducing pain medication. His stomach illness and vomiting subsided and he and I both napped at about 4pm..that was restorative to us ...a port in this storm. He slept well overnight which was wonderful as tonight may not be so restful. I will not know what the surgeons will decide to do until they report to me around 10 am. They will either "simply" remove tissue and bone to put an end to the constant serious infections and surgically sew him back up to heal or leave the wound open to heal for a time until another surgery for mandible reconstruction using his leg as he has mentioned in another email. So we wait for a 3-4 hr. surgery or about 12 hours of surgery today. The Lord only knows. But, in the meantime, Martin hand wrote a letter last evening and again this morning before surgery and I am here to re-type it for him. In his words....

Rom. 8:28
We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who are in Christ Jesus, to those who are called to His purpose.

Ps. 37:7
Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.

Isa. 40:31
Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.

In 47 B.C. Julius Ceasar said the phrase, "Veni, Vidi, Vici", or, "I came, I saw, I conquered". Today is surgery. A Martin Mueller quote would be, "We came, they sawed, we conquered".

We had somewhat of an adventure getting to this day. Monday, the volcano that was on my neck and jaw erupted around 2am. Everything from the infection and dead tissue finally started coming out. What a mess!! I also had nausea and had my moments "driving a Buick".

Our first meeting with our reconstruction surgeon raised the issue of this infection. He said he would delay the reconstruction surgery if the infection was as bad as it appeared.

Our meeting with the surgeon who would remove the necrotic tissue and bone went well. The decision was to remove forward and remove this problem.

I was admitted to the hospital and put on multiple I.V.s of liquids, antibiotics and, a fizzy drink (root beer)...okay, I snuck in that one. The goal was to stabilize me, control or "cool" the infection as they say and get me into the O.R.

(forward to this morning)

I had a great night's sleep and am now waiting to be wheeled into the pre-op area for surgery.

Traci and I are well rested. I have been on I.V.s since yesterday afternoon which has hydrated me and revived me. My "volcano" on my neck, Mount I. B. Blowin' has slowly become somewhat dormant.

*********************
And that is where he left off...seems they came in to actually wheel him away at that point. He was in a good relaxed mood when I kissed him goodbye. I reminded him that he may look quite deformed when he wakes up...he is ready for anything. Your prayers are churning and he knows it well.

Thank you, I will be in touch.
With love and appreciation for each day, Traci

P.S. I had a great pre-op, thumbs up photo of Martin but we brought the wrong USB cord to download it! Arrgghhh! Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment