Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Should I join a Homeschool Co-Op?

The past few months, this question has been a forgone conclusion, however, there is one thing that bothers me..okay, two..no, make that several. This blog post got me to thinking about it...(it is a short read).

So here is the lowdown. The local one I am interested in "joining" has a stipulation. You are required to...let me rephrase that, you are asked to volunteer to help with things during the school year from say Sept. to May I suppose. A time frame of obligation is not stated. Anyway, I am happy to volunteer but I only want to volunteer when I want to do it and I want the right to change my mind based on my personal family circumstances at the time. Right? Maybe I am asking too much. Maybe I cannot give what they want here. Anyway, here are some things on the list of things suggested to volunteer..by the way, before I begin that list:
  1. I am not a joiner. Never have been one. Not in high school, university or even now.

  2. But, I do want my children to have that "socialization" time penciled in the calendar regularly. Time with other kiddos their age to be loud, silly, run, scream. This is not park play time stuff though...this seems like seat work stuff. Gun gets enough of that here with reading prep. and math, etc.

  3. My oldest is only 6.5 yo so I have not ever joined a Co-Op for homeschool and don't have any experience in this group. I know, really know, two people with older children. I have talked with them but don't yet get the feeling that this is "right" yet.

  4. I hate the unknown and change. We have had enough of that and are enjoying our little routine at home. I say that for all of us for the most part.

The list:

  • Assist with Art Fest

  • Assist with International Fest

  • Assist with Geography Bee (sounds interesting to me!)

  • Assist with newsletter

  • Assist with Family Fun Day/Back to School Party

  • Host elementary events (huh?...all elem. age kids at my house???..what???)

  • Assist with elementary (ages 9 and under) events

  • Assist with tween (ages 10, 11, 12) events

  • Assist with Science Fair

  • Assist with Spelling Bee

  • Assist with Field Trips

  • Assist with Group Holiday Parties

  • Host teen events

  • Host tween events

  • Assist with teen events

That is the whole list. I am challenged at home with food for all family members..for the man and the scars and then the little ones and then me...really, that is three types of eating...I try hard to combine all but M needs fat, I need less fat and the littles need veggies = make smoothies out the ying yang (which I don't always do enough of) just to get enough veggies in them....this food thing is a beast of burden but I believe is necessary. To list what M can't eat would be an enlightening post for our friends/family....hummnnn....not to mention, I am the chief director around here....the chef, maid, laundress, seamstress, Christmas gift making organizer, nurse/doctor, fix it mama, play with me mama, hold me mama person, etc....you can add to this list anything I forgot my dear mama readers. (of course, Daddy is a part of some of these things for our littles) All in all....is this joining up worth the sacrifice to our time here and the valuable lessons at home and will it enrich my family?? Isn't that what we want?

I want to go to a meeting of this homeschool group and get a feel for it before I join in. I will do almost anything to help my children spread their wings, even things I don't want to do that are helpful to them. I know, I know..who knows? ...I might even like it. I might make a new friend or two.

1 comment:

  1. John and I are asking ourselves the same questions right now...
    I don't know what to do either...

    ReplyDelete