



Yesterday, I got an email from a dear friend who is equally proud of our national entity, the United States Military. As a Conservative, I believe and will always support a strong national defense no matter what President is in office and not matter what their reasons are to try to defund and dismantle it. The procession and welcome was in one hour and only a 12 minute ride from home. The children and I, in play clothes and on the fly, decided to attend. Thank God for the opportunities with home education!
You may or may not have heard about the grass roots efforts of the Patriot Guard Riders and just regular people like us when our soldiers return home for final rest. I have seen photos of one such welcome at church but yesterday, we got to experience it. It is nothing formal that you have to do but it has everything to do with giving honor and showing respect for our heroes when they return home when you attend one of these. What a privilege to share with my children. After receipt of his remains at Hooks Airport, the funeral procession was anticipated from the street across from us. I positioned all of us on the corner in front as the procession rolled by us. We were surrounded by a somber crowd of veterans, working folks in high heels and skirts, Moms home schooling with all children in tow, a group of firefighters, retired folks and one D.A.R. member...just anyone is welcome who is desiring to show their respect and thanks. As they approached, every vehicle that had a siren was sounding off. The buzz of the P.G. Riders was vibrating. The flags, oh the flags were everywhere. Including the U.S. Marine flag. The black hearse rolling by was too much for me. I was brought to tears for this Marine's sacrifice and the sacrifice of so many men and women for our freedom. We know that freedom is not free and this is the ultimate price.
Gun was given an American flag to wave which he held proudly and did not let touch the ground for a second. I told the boys they could salute the hearse which held the Marine's body as it drove by if they wanted to show their respect for his service. They mostly stared, all three of my children. The noise was so loud but they did not get upset. I was surprised. I told them that soldiers are special people and Marine's even better. I told them so many things as it was happening. I called M, a former proud Marine, to tell him where we were and I know he wished he were there too.
Cpl. Jeffrey W. Johnson was honored yesterday and we were honored to welcome him home. He was 21 years old and was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 while serving in Operation Enduring Freedom. He served in the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines and joined in July 2007. These photos here were taken by an off duty fireman that forwarded them to me. We are not in them but you can see the general procession and the regular folks in line as well as the P.G. Riders. There is not any sound. Please click the slide show link at the top.
Wow... I was moved to tears reading this. I'm so glad you guys were a part of this very special and important occasion.
ReplyDelete