Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is Unschooling?

I have had more than one homeschooling mama pose this question lately and my own questions have been burning so I am seeking answers and have tried to share my impressions here. So what is unschooling? Isn't that just being lazy since you don't really have anything to teach your kid anyway? NO, definitely, no. Here is a short introduction to what it is and what I am doing with this information. Just ask yourself, if you know me in person, is Traci 'lazy'?

Why is it that when you find a book, a book you are ready for, one you have been waiting for but did not know it...you just want to shout to the world about it! I have found a book via Soulemama called The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith. There are many other authors on the same subject that she references here. Much more nuggets to mine. One at a time....


For a long time now, maybe even since my first one was born six years ago, I have struggled with what I call 'deliberately teaching' and what is called unschooling, i.e., living life answering questions and as someone else said in effect, strewing things in their path to 'feed' their minds. I have always, always made effort to include my children in whatever I do....dishes, laundry, cooking, sewing, reading, writing...everything. I have always been willing to answer questions or find answers and even make note to find answers later...I do have a nursing baby and preschooler too! (By the way, the three year old asked me last evening if 'airplanes have beds?'...what???....He was happy to hear the word, 'yes!') I have realized that for most of last year and now this new one, my time is being spent, strewing things in their path. Things/tools/books/art supplies/building blocks..open ended toys... for exploration and learning. This is my chief focus daily in spite of what I was taught that school is and in spite of what others around me are doing....and I am growing more and more content with it. I am a facilitator of learning, not a teacher who holds the key. I want to be the best facilitator my children deserve. That is my prayer. God, lead me to the answers. Oh, and the Internet!


For instance, my grandmother gave me her straight stitch Singer table top all-in-one sewing machine. She taught me on it and we made pillows together when I lived with her. We even ventured to turn it into a business called 'One More Pillow' on eBay but my life and earning 'real' money, etc., took over. Reflecting now, I value the experience as my own first, serious, unschool adventure. I loved it and had a passion for it and it lit a fire for sewing that burns even now 15 or so years later, and isn't that what we want for our children? All we need do is 'light the spark' and get out of the way. So, last night my six year old says 'Mom! I know! We can sew parachutes for my army men tomorrow!" So guess what our 'Math' lesson is for today? Yep. Sewing. I am going to get him on my machine today. My sewing machine is a tool of learning. We are going to measure, cut, fold, iron, sew and attach the 'rigging' onto those parachutes. Now doing crafts that are child interest led is not new to me. What is new is for me to recognize it as 'doing Math'! This is active learning at its best. It is what I strive to create for our 'homeschool'. An environment that stimulates learning. That is what makes me tired, keeps me up late thinking, gathering and setting up. I am a facilitator. I am in a constant state of gathering.


Now, another thing. The schedule. I feel that since I began 'deliberately teaching' I was in fact 'pasting' someone else's ideas of teaching on top of mine which therefore made my day much 'busier' but maybe not necessarily more conducive to real learning that sticks and again, lights that fire to learn more. I still have a printed schedule and will wag that around and use it just so I don't have to make decisions over and over. For example, a list of books that I want to read aloud, a file of Math manipulatives...things gathered to be 'strewn' in front of them when ready..when the time is right. And, I have to admit, I do need to 'feel' that I have made effort to 'teach' reading even if he is already picking it up with us reading to him and Starfall. I have a boy who loves the computer. Geez...what does he see me doing throughout the day?? Go figure. So is that not having anything to teach? Is that lazy? No...I am only now recognizing it as so. Our school is a comfortable pot of stew...heavy on the Charlotte Mason with focus to training in habits, good living books, nature walks that are more than just free time outside, day trips to museums, some 'deliberate teaching' of Math and Reading (of which both I have trouble deliberately teaching...hello parachutes for army men!...math, math, math! and reading aloud...ahem, Traci..that is T-E-A-C-H-I-N-G) and a good dose of what I love to do myself everyday and will pass on to my children....unschooling...sewing, knitting, reading, cooking from scratch, etc. In fact, I now think that when you begin to unschool, that is when the adventure of learning and loving it really begins. I started in my late twenties to do it, I am in my late thirties recognizing it..when will you begin?



Stay tuned. ;-)

May you stop today and answer those bazillion questions from your little ones even if they seem to interrupt what you are 'teaching'. You may just be feeding their future right now, living in that moment with them.

Have the courage.


"My strength cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth." -Psalm 121:2
Happy New Year friends!

3 comments:

  1. Hey T- Just for the record...I never meant to imply that YOU are lazy or your method of "unschooling" is lazy. I have just witnessed a family sitting around doing nothing all day and calling it "unschooling" I am willing to look past that family that is giving all sorts of home schooling a bad name and really look and think about what you are saying. I think you are a great mama and teacher...whatever your "method" may be. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOVE that CM quote on your header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C-
    Please don't think I was needling you! NO, you helped provoke some very positive thought for me and my homeschool. You and two others. I so often don't feel like I do enough that I am unhappy. This book is helping me see and account for all that I am really doing. -tm

    ReplyDelete